updated Dec 2022
(see also ORCID)
Published peer-reviewed journal articles
- Morris, P.J., M.L. Davies, A.J. Baird, N. Balliston, M-A. Bourgault, R.S. Clymo, R.E. Fewster, A.K. Furukawa, J. Holden, E. Kessel, S.J. Ketcheson, B. Kløve, M. Larocque, H. Marttila, M.W. Menberu, P.A. Moore, J.S. Price, A-K. Ronkanen, E. Rosa, M. Strack, B.W.J. Surridge, J.M. Waddington, P. Whittington, S.L. Wilkinson. 2022. Saturated hydraulic conductivity in northern peats inferred from other measurements. Water Resources Research. https://doi.org/10.1029/2022WR033181
- Whittington, P., A. Ireson, C. Spence. 2022. HP Special Issue: Canadian Geophysical Union 2020. Hydrological Processes. Volume 36, Issue 8. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.14664
- Whittington, P., A. Koiter, D. Watts, A. Brewer, V. Golubev. 2021. Bulk density, particle density and porosity of Sphagnum capillifolium and magellanicum moss from a mid-latitude continental bog: variability in measurement techniques and spatial distribution. Soil Science Society of America Journal. DOI: 10.1002/saj2.20327
- Golubev, V.., C. McCarter, Whittington. 2021. Ecohydrological implications of the variability of soil hydrophysical properties between two Sphagnum moss microforms and the impact of different sample heights. Journal of Hydrology. 603. doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2021.126956
- Edwards, L., and Whittington, P. 2018. Impact of drainage ditch construction and subsequent use on a treed bog adjacent to a peat harvesting operation, south western Manitoba, Canada. Proceedings of Manitoba’s Undergraduate Science and Engineering Research. (4)
- Patterson, S and Whittington, P. 2018. Characterizing the spatial heterogeneity of basic physical properties of lake and peat soils as it relates to the success of spontaneous regeneration of the Moss Spur peatland, Manitoba. Proceedings of Manitoba’s Undergraduate Science and Engineering Research. (4)
- Golubev, V., and Whittington, P. 2018. Effects of volume change on the unsaturated hydraulic conductivity of Sphagnum moss. Journal of Hydrology. 559: 884-894
- McCarter, CP.R., S Ketcheson, TK.D. Weber, Whittington, S. Scarlett and J Price. (2017) Modified Technique for Measuring Unsaturated Hydraulic Conductivity in Sphagnum Moss and Peat. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81: 4: 747-757 doi:10.2136/sssaj2017.01.0006
- Leclair, M., Whittington, P., Price, J.S. (2015). Journal of Hydrology – Regional Studies. 4, part B: 732-747.
- Whittington, P., Price, J.S. 2013. Effect of mine dewatering on the peatlands of the James Bay Lowland: the role of marine sediments on mitigating peatland drainage. Hydrological Processes 27(13): 1845-1853.10.1002/hyp.9858
- Ketcheson, S.J., Whittington, P., Price, J.S. 2012. The effect of peatland harvesting on snow accumulation, ablation and snow surface energy balance. Hydrological Processes.10.1002/hyp.9325
- Richardson, M., Ketcheson, S.J., Whittington, P., Price, J. 2012. Runoff generation in a northern peatland complex: the influences of catchment morphology and scale Hydrological Processes 26(12): 1805-1817.10.1002/hyp.9322
- Whittington, P., Price, J.S. 2012. Effect of mine dewatering on peatlands of the James Bay Lowland: the role of bioherms. Hydrological Processes 26(12): 1818-1826.10.1002/hyp.9266
- Whittington, P.N., Ketcheson, S.J., Price, J.S., Richardson, M., Di Febo, A. 2012. Areal differentiation of snow accumulation and melt between peatland types in the James Bay Lowlands. Hydrological Processes 26(17): 2662-2671.10.1002/hyp.9414
- Chasmer, L., Quinton, W., Hopkinson, C., Petrone, R., Whittington, P. 2011. Vegetation Canopy and Radiation Controls on Permafrost Plateau Evolution within the Discontinuous Permafrost Zone, Northwest Territories, Canada. Permafrost and Periglacial Processes.10.1002/ppp.724
- Price, J., Whittington, P. 2010. Water flow in Sphagnum hummocks: Mesocosm measurements and modelling. Journal of Hydrology 381(3-4): 333-340
- Price, J.S., Edwards, T.W.D., Yi, Y., Whittington, P. 2009. Physical and isotopic characterization of evaporation from Sphagnum moss. Journal of Hydrology doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.02.044
- Price, J., Whittington, P., Elrick, D., Strack, M., Brunet, N., Faux, E. 2008. A Method to Determine Unsaturated Hydraulic Conductivity in Living and Undecomposed Sphagnum Moss. Soil Science Society of America Journal 72(2): 487
- Strack, M., Waddington, J., Bourbonniere, R., Buckton, E., Shaw, K., Whittington, P., Price, J. 2008. Effect of water table drawdown on peatland dissolved organic carbon export and dynamics. Hydrological Processes 22(17): 3373-3385
- Whittington, P., Strack, M., Kaufman, S., vanHaarlem, R., Stoesser, P., Maltez, J., Price, J.S., Stone, M. 2007. The role of peat volume change and vegetation community on the hydraulic conductivity of a kettle hole wetland in Southern Ontario, Canada. Mires and Peat 2(Article 9): 1-14
- Whittington, P., Price, J.S. 2006. The effects of water table draw-down (as a surrogate for climate change) on the hydrology of a patterned fen peatland near Quebec City, Quebec. Hydrological Processes(20): 3589-3600
In progress/to be submitted soon:
- Whittington, P, and Strack, M. (submitted June 2018). Impact of long term water table drawdown (as a surrogate for climate change) on peat hydrophysical properties. Journal of Hydrology. HYDROL28307 [Rejected Feb 2019, plan to resubmit]
- Hawes M. and P. Whittington (in final prep) Moss Spur: Defining the hydrology of the spontaneous regeneration of a cutover bog in southeast Manitoba, Canada. Target journal: Hydrological Processes.
- Hawes M. and P. Whittington (in final prep) Elma North: Re-contouring a cutover peatland to improve hydrology and promote Sphagnum regeneration in southeast Manitoba, Canada. Target journal: Hydrological Processes.
- Hollier, B and Whittington (in final prep). Water Balance of South Lake, Riding Mountain National Park. Target journal: Wetlands.
- Hollier, B. and P. Whittington (in final prep). Water quality of the Octopus – Ominik – South Lake System, Riding Mountain National Park. Target journal: Wetlands